Copper Nickel Pipes
Copper nickel pipes from shihang have get the high reputation from our end user for more than 20 years.
Shihang copper nickel pipe has strong ability for anti-corrosion, stable chemical composition, easy to machine, reasonable price, quick reposon for any end user or trader’s requirement ( mtc sample, copper nickel pipe specification, shihang copper nickel pipe catalog, shihang’s company profile and so on)
- Raw Material: 100% meet the standard requirement
- Supply EN 10204 3.1 certificates for each order, EN 10204 3.2 third party certificates are also available
- Fast Delivery, All size from DN15-DN400 seamless copper nickel pipe are in stock
- Outer diameter tolerance, thickness tolerance 100% meet the standard requirement
- Enough case to support domestic and overseas end user, mainly are shipyard and offshore oil platform
Your Premier Copper Nickle Flange Manufacturer
Copper Nickel Pipes Standard
Copper Nickel Pipe Chemical Composition
1.Comparison table of International Standard Specifications for CuNi 90/10
|JIS H 3300
2. Comparison table of International Standard Specifications for CuNi 70/30
|JIS H 3300
Copper Nickel Pipe Specification
Specifications : ASTM / ASME SB 111 / 466 / 7060X/ CuNi10Fe1.6Mn/ CN102
Standard : ASTM, ASME B36.19,DIN 86019, EEMUA 144,EEMUA 234,MIL-T-16420K
Size : 1/2″ TO 20′ IN,DN15 TO DN500
Outer Diameter : 15mm to 508mm
Well Thickness : Between 1mm and 11 mm
Length : mainly 6meter or required Length
Schedule : sch10,sch40,sch80,std
Copper Nickel Pipe Pressure Rating:
10bar, 14bar for DIN 86019
16bar,20bar for EEMUA 144,EEMUA 234
Class 200, Class 700 for MIL-T-16420K.
Types : Seamless less than 419mm ( included 419mm) / Seam Welded ( over 419mm )
End : Plain End, Beveled End, Treaded
Grades : Copper Nickel 90/10 (C70600 ), Cupro Nickel 70/30 (C71500), UNS C71640
Copper Nickel Pipe Size Chart
|Outside diameter of pipe||DIN86019|
|10 bar||14 bar|
Copper Nickel Pipe Weight Calculator
Copper Nickel Pipe Weight Calculator
Weight per KG= ( OD – THK ) * THK * 0.028
OD means outer diameter of the copper nickel pipe
THK means the thickness of the copper nickel pipe
Copper Nickel Pipe: The Complete Guide
Copper Nickel Pipe Manufacturer and Supplier
Shihang Copper Nickel Pipe, also named CuNi Pipe, Cunifer Pipe or Cupro Nickel Pipe, is an alloy of Cu, Ni, Fe, Mn, Pb, S, P, and Zn, mixed in different proportions. It is a DIN 86019, EEMUA 144, ASME B36.19M 2 and MIL-T-16420K compliant pipe with excellent corrosion resistant property.
Shihang Copper Nickel Pipe comes in two different grades, namely C70600 Pipes (CuNi 90/10 Pipes) and CuNi 70/30 Pipes (Copper Nickel 70/30 pipes).
Shihang Copper Nickel Pipe is a perfect choice for marine hardware, cooling loops, shipbuilding, offshore oil platform, desalination systems, etc.
Compared to other Cupro Nickel Pipes, Shihang Copper Nickel Pipe is popular for superior tensile strength, oxidation resistance, and corrosion resistance.
Shihang Copper Nickel Pipes come in unlimited options, from welded copper nickel pipe to seamless copper nickel pipe, plain to beveled end, for all marine hardware applications.
Shihang Copper Nickel Pipe pressure ratings conform to DIN86019, EEMUA 144, ASME B36.10M to MIL-T-16420 specification, max length 6 meters and varying thickness.
No matter the complexity of the marine piping systems, Shihang has the know-how in drawing solid metal billet, piercing and accurate balance of chemical compounds, producing durable, dependable and corrosion resistant copper nickel pipe.
Fabricating Shihang Copper Nickel Pipe is simple and easy. You can solder, braze, cut, drill or weld Shihang Copper Nickel Pipes.
As a global leader in copper nickel pipe manufacturing, Shihang has a range of copper nickel pipes stocks. With Shihang, a fast turnaround is a guarantee.
We are proud to be among the top 10 companies to produce copper nickel pipe with outer diameter 419mm.
Shihang strives to meet the global demand for trusted and reliable copper nickel pipes. With a 300T Hydraulic Elongator, OTTO JUNKER Furnace, 55KN Direct Extrusion Press, 35Kn Indirect Extrusion Press, Shihang produces 30T copper nickel pipes per month.
Expect short lead time, with normal order taking 30 days and 3-stage QC, including chemical composition, mechanical and visual inspection tests.
Shihang packs copper nickel pipes in a wooden casing, preventing damage or scratches.
Talk to our technical team now, for custom copper nickel pipe requirements.
Copper Nickel Pipes: The Ultimate FAQ Guide
- What is Copper Nickel Pipe?
- What is Copper Nickel Pipes Used For?
- Why is Copper Nickel Pipes Best for Offshore Applications?
- Can You Fabricate Cupro Nickel Pipes?
- Are Copper Nickel Pipes Antimicrobial?
- How Does Seamless Cupro Nickel Pipes Compare to Welded Copper Nickel Pipes?
- What is the Maximum Diameter for Shihang Seamless Copper Nickel Pipes?
- Is Copper Nickel Tube Same as Copper Nickel Pipe?
- How Does Shihang Package Copper Nickel Pipes?
- What is the Difference between 70-30 Copper Nickel Pipe and 90-10 Copper Nickel Pipe?
- Why is Cupro Nickel Pipes Resistant to Biofouling?
- Is there Outer Diameter Limit for Cupro Nickel Pipes?
- What is the Standard Specification for Copper Nickel Pipes?
- How Does Shihang Produce Seamless Copper Nickel Pipe?
- What is the Maximum Length of Shihang Copper Nickel Pipes?
- How Does Shihang Control Copper Nickel Pipe Quality?
- Is there a Maximum OD for Welded Copper Nickel Pipes?
- How Can You Manufacture Welded Copper Nickel Pipes?
- What is the Life Expectancy of Cupper Nickel Pipes?
- Why are Some Copper Nickel Pipe Fittings Heavier and Thicker than the Pipe?
- Are Cupro Nickel Pipes Affected by Temperature Fluctuation?
- Shihang Copper Nickel Pipes Comes in How Many End Configurations?
- Why is Copper Nickel Pipe Resistant to Sea Water?
- Does Shihang Produce Copper Nickel Pipe Fittings?
- How Does Cost of Copper Nickel Pipe Compare to Other Pipes for Marine Use?
- What is “schedule” in copper nickel pipes?
- Does Shihang Custom Copper Nickel Pipes?
- What is Shihang Copper Nickel Pipe Production Capacity?
- Which certificate do shihang offer for copper nickel pipe?
- What main Classification Society for copper nickel pipe manufacturers approval
- What is copper nickel heat exchanger pipe?
- What is GRADE of copper nickel pipe for heat exchanger?
What is Copper Nickel Pipe?
It is a tubular section, made from copper and nickel as the main alloying elements. You can use copper nickel pipes to transport or redirect gases, liquids, or semi-solid substances.
Remember, copper nickel pipes are also called Cupronickel pipes or CuNi pipes.
What is Copper Nickel Pipes Used For?
Cupronickel pipes are widely used in offshore or marine applications.
Generally, you can use copper nickel pipes in shipbuilding, offshore oil platform, desalination, petrochemical, automotive, chemical processing, marine engineering, and power generation industries, to mention a few.
Some specific uses of copper nickel pipes are:
- Condenser systems
- Heat exchangers
- Gasoline tank piping system
- Offshore piping
- Freshwater tank piping system
- Oil towers
- Water and steam piping
- Valves systems
- Firewater systems
- Ballast pipe
- Marine riser
- Leg sheathing of offshore platforms, etc.
Figure 1 Copper Nickel Pipe in Offshore Uses – Photo Credits: Copper Development Association Inc.
In short, copper nickel pipes are suitable for applications that must meet the following criteria:
- Bio-fouling resistance
- Excellent resistance to salty or seawater
- Low macrofouling rates
Why is Copper Nickel Pipes Best for Offshore Applications?
The following features make CuNi pipe a perfect choice for marine, sea, or offshore applications:
- Excellent Corrosion to Salty and Seawater – It is affected by salty moisture, humidity, or water. Even in flowing seawater at 0.6 m/s, corrosion is negligible – 0.002 mm/year.
- Easy Fabrication – You can cut, weld, or bend Cupro nickel pipes to suit any application requirement.
- Low Expansion Rate – Copper nickel pipes have low and predictable rate of expansion. Therefore, all connections will remain intact without loosening due to the uneven and unpredictable rate of expansion.
- Resistance to Macro fouling – There will be no algae, biological slimes, mollusks, or any form of ocean life on your copper nickel pipes. Copper nickel pipes will remain clean all the time.
- Good Antimicrobial Property – Cupronickel pipes will remain hygienic due to copper’s capability to kill or make microbes inactive.
- Good Thermal Conductivity – It makes copper nickel pipes suitable for heat exchanger systems. Besides, it can also withstand extremely high temperature.
- Excellent Resistance to Cavitation and Erosion – Even in the most turbulent and high-velocity environment, copper nickel pipes will neither wear nor tear easily. Besides, the CuNi pipes are also stress-resistant.
- Visually Appealing – Copper nickel pipes are lustrous.
Figure 2 Copper Nickel Pipes
Can You Fabricate Cupronickel Pipes?
You can fabricate Cupro nickel pipe to fit specific requirement of any application.
For instance, you can thread, bend, cut, or weld CuNi pipes.
Are Copper Nickel Pipes Antimicrobial?
Copper element in the CuNi pipes is responsible for antimicrobial properties. Of course, this is according to existing studies in the American Society for Microbiology and SAGE Journal.
Copper nickel pipes will either kill microbes or make them remain inactive.
How Does Seamless Cupronickel Pipes Compare to Welded Copper Nickel Pipes?
|Seamless Cupronickel Pipes||Welded Copper Nickel Pipes|
|OD ranges from 16 to 419mm (maximum)||OD more than 457|
|Pipes have no seam or joint||Pipes may have a seam or joint|
|Mainly extruded and drawn from copper nickel billet||Manufactured from copper nickel coils or strips|
|More expensive than welded copper nickel pipes||Less expensive compared to seamless copper nickel pipes|
|Strength and structure is uniform throughout the cross-section of the pipe||Uniformity of strength and structure depends on the accuracy of the rolling process and welding technique|
|Suitable for application that requires higher pressure, mechanical stress, and temperature||Not suitable for extremely high pressure, temperature and mechanical strength|
|Manufacturing methods are mainly plug rolling mill, mandrel mill, extrusion or forging methods||Welded copper nickel pipes manufacturing process involves forming a circular section using plate rolling, continuous rolling, or point pressing/UO methods.
Then welding the cross-section using electric resistance, electric fusion, high-frequency, or submerged arc welding techniques
What is the Maximum Diameter for Shihang Seamless Copper Nickel Pipes?
The maximum diameter for Shihang seamless copper nickel pipes is 419mm. You can also get as low as 16mm or custom diameter sizes depending on your requirements.
It comes after Shihang updated its furnace to accommodate 600kg CuNi ingot besides investing in 300T hydraulic elongator.
Currently, Shihang is among the top 5 Cupronickel manufacturers to produce seamless CuNi pipes with 419mm outer diameter.
Is Copper Nickel Tube Same as Copper Nickel Pipe?
- Copper nickel tubes can be round, square or rectangular, while CuNi pipes are round.
- For dimension, you can specify Cupronickel tubes using outside diameter and wall thickness. On the other hand, you can specify Cupronickel pipes with the nominal diameter (internal diameter) and wall thickness (schedule).
- Copper nickel tubes are stronger than copper nickel pipes.
- CuNi tubes are used in structural applications, whereas CuNi pipes transport gas and fluids.
How Does Shihang Package Copper Nickel Pipes?
Before packaging copper nickel pipes, Shihang will print vital information on the pipe. The information can include grade, dimension, and standard specification.
Figure 3 Printed information on copper nickel pipe
Shihang then packs all copper nickel pipes in seaworthy wooden case.
We put polypropylene sheet in the wooden case, followed with pipes, and then we seal before shipping.
During the packaging process, copper nickel pipes:
- May have capped ends
- With less 0.3 ” outer diameter may be bundled together
Then Shihang securely locks the wooden box with flat steel bands.
Figure 4 Packaging Copper Nickel Pipes
What is the Difference between 70-30 Copper Nickel Pipe and 90-10 Copper Nickel Pipe?
The main difference between 70/30 CuNi Pipe and 90/10 CuNi Pipe is the chemical composition.
However, 90-10 copper nickel pipe is more popular than 70-30 Copper nickel pipes. It is because 90-10 copper nickel pipe is easier to machine and cheaper than 70-30 copper nickel pipes.
Below are tables showing chemical compositions of the two Cupronickel pipes:
Chemical Composition of 90/10 Copper Nickel Pipe
Figure 5 90-10 Copper Nickel Pipe
Chemical Composition of 70/30 Copper Nickel Pipe
Figure 6 70-30 Copper Nickel Pipe
Why is Cupronickel Pipes Resistant to Biofouling?
At the moment, there is no specific element that has been attributed to the excellent biofouling properties of copper nickel pipes.
However, preliminary studies suggest a possibility of:
- Copper ions that do not oxidize on its protective film
- Releasing copper ions and surface film
Even with all these speculations, Cupronickel pipes offer excellent resistant to biofouling.
Is there Outer Diameter Limit for Cupronickel Pipes?
For seamless copper nickel pipes, the maximum diameter is 419mm. However, for the seam weld copper nickel pipes, the outer diameter can be over 419mm.
Of course, the size of the outer diameter will depend on your application requirement and specification.
What is the Standard Specification for Copper Nickel Pipes?
Some of the main standard specifications are:
These standard specifications for copper nickel pipes indicate the pipes’ outside diameter, wall thickness, weight, and pressure rating.
How Can You Produce Seamless Copper Nickel Pipes?
You can produce seamless copper nickel pipes using any of the following techniques;
· Plug Rolling Mill Technique (the Most common method)
The plug rolling mill copper nickel pipe manufacturing process involves the following key stages:
- Preparing copper nickel billets by cutting to size into small pieces
- Heat copper nickel billets to plastic deformation temperature in a rotary furnace
- Use mandrel to pierce hot copper nickel billets
- Pass the pierced billet through elongator to increase the length of copper nickel pipe
- Reduce the thickness of copper nickel pipe in a plug mill
- Pass copper nickel pipe through reelers which will smoothen and improve dimensions
- Reheat copper nickel pipe then resize to improve dimensions
- Subject copper nickel pipes to heat treatment to restore microstructure
- Cool copper nickel pipes and take them to straightening stage
- Inspect the quality of copper nickel pipes
You can summarize the process as:
Figure 7 Plug roll mill process – Photo credits: Udemy
· Mandrel Mill Technique (the Most common method)
The key stages in mandrel mill technique in copper nickel pipe production include:
Figure 8 Mandrel technique – Photo credits: Udemy
From figure 8, you can see the processes is similar to that of the plug rolling mill process except that it does not involve many stages.
· Extrusion Technique
The main processes in extrusion technique for copper nickel pipe include:
- Heat the copper nickel pipe
- Place the heated copper billet in a die than push it against a piercing mandrel using hydraulic ram.
- As the billet moves through the cavity, it forms a copper nickel pipe.
- Take the seamless copper nickel pipe through various finishing operations as in part 2 in figure 9 below.
This technique is suitable for seamless copper nickel pipes having high thickness.
Figure 9 Extrusion technique – Photo credits: Udemy
· Forging Technique
For copper nickel pipes with large diameters, forging is the best technique.
The main processes include:
- Make forging die which has a diameter larger than the pipe you want to produce
- Put hot copper nickel billet in the die
- With a hydraulic press, form the copper nickel pipe
Once you have the copper nickel pipe, take it through various finishing operations in figure 10 part 2.
Figure 10 Forging technique – Photo credits: Udemy
What is the Maximum Length of Shihang Copper Nickel Pipes?
The maximum length for Shihang copper nickel pipes is 6 meters. However, we can cut to any length upon request as long as it does not exceed the 6 meters.
How Does Shihang Control Copper Nickel Pipe Quality?
Shihang begins the quality control of copper nickel pipe by assessing the chemical composition of the raw material, monitoring the production process through to the final production.
Also, our German brand Spectrograph inspects the chemical composition of copper nickel alloy. It ensures the copper nickel pipes conform to DIN, ASME, and EEMUA standards.
Strict dimensional control, physical and chemical properties, produce high quality 90/10 copper nickel pipes and 70/30 copper nickel pipes.
With OTTO JUNKER furnace, Shihang controls the heating, ensuring it does not compromise the chemical properties of copper nickel pipes.
Throughout the entire process, Shihang has both random and regular quality inspection procedures.
How Can You Manufacture Welded Copper Nickel Pipes?
Welded copper nickel pipe manufacturing process involves two key stages:
- Forming Circular Part of the Pipe
When forming the circular section of copper nickel pipe, you can use a plate rolling machine.
When using a top roller, the machine transforms copper nickel strip into a circular section.
Figure 11 Rolling machine – Photo credits: Udemy
Alternatively, you can use point pressing and UO technique.
Here, the process starts by forming a “U” shape then making an “O” cross-section.
Figure 12 UO technique – Photo credits; Udemy
The third technique is the continuous technique.
Figure 13 Continuous rolling technique – Photo credits: Udemy
In a continuous rolling process, series of rollers continuously shape copper nickel strip to form circular cross-section.
- Welding the Circular Section to Form Copper Nickel Pipe
Once you have a circular copper nickel cross-section, weld it to form a pipe.
Figure 14 Welded copper nickel pipe production – Photo credits: Udemy
You can use welding techniques such as electric resistance welding, electric fusion welding, or high-frequency welding.
After this, you will take the welded copper nickel pipe through various finishing operations.
What is the Life Expectancy of Copper Nickel Pipes?
Cupronickel pipes are durable and resistant to harsh environmental conditions. Depending on the prevailing conditions, copper nickel pipes have a life expectancy of over ten years.
Why are Some Copper Nickel Pipe Fittings Heavier and Thicker than the Pipe?
It is to conform to various performance requirements.
In most cases, Cupronickel pipe fittings are subjected to additional stress than the pipe. Therefore, the extra thickness compensates for the additional stress and other forces.
Are Cupro Nickel Pipes Affected by Temperature Fluctuation?
Copper nickel pipes are dimensionally stable; thus, any fluctuation in temperature will neither affect its performance or service life span.
Shihang Copper Nickel Pipes Comes in How Many End Configurations?
Shihang copper nickel pipes have beveled or plain end configurations. However, you can also find a threaded end configuration upon request.
Why is Copper Nickel Pipe Resistant to Sea Water?
It has nickel which makes it extremely corrosion resistant while improving strength.
With the nickel’s low oxidation reaction, copper nickel pipe will be unaffected on exposure to sea or marine environment in the presence of oxygen and moisture.
Does Shihang Produce Copper Nickel Pipe Fittings?
At Shihang, we have a range of CuNi pipe fittings such as:
- Copper nickel elbow including short radius and long radius
- Equal Tee that conforms to DIN, EEMUA, and ASME
- Reducing Tee conforming to DIN, EEMUA, and ASME
- Concentric reduce conforming to DIN and EEMUA
- Saddles conforming to DIN and EEMUA
- End caps conforming to DIN and EEMUA
- ASME B16.9 Copper Nickel Stub End
- Copper Nickel Forged Fittings
Figure 15 Copper nickel fittings
How Does Cost of Copper Nickel Pipe Compare to Other Pipes for Marine Use?
Although the initial cost may be high, copper nickel pipes have long-term cost benefits.
You don’t have to worry about biofouling, corrosion, rusting, etc. Therefore, investing in copper nickel pipes for marine or offshore application is cost-effective in the long run.
What is “Schedule” in Copper Nickel Pipes?
The schedule refers to a pipe or pipe fittings wall thickness. It is a common standard used in North America.
Its short form is sch.
Normally, a higher schedule implies thicker wall thickness and vice versa.
In most cases, pipe and pipe fittings with a higher schedule are:
- Use more copper nickel material
Does Shihang Custom Copper Nickel Pipes?
Yes, Shihang can manufacture copper nickel pipes to any length as long as it does not exceed 6 meters.
Also, the maximum OD for seamless copper nickel pipes is 419mm. However, for welded copper nickel pipes, the outer diameter can be more than 457mm.
You can visit this section to learn more on Shihang CuNi Pipe Sizing.
What is Shihang Copper Nickel Pipe Production Capacity?
With the newly upgraded furnace, Shihang can produce 600kg CuNi ingot. Besides a 300T hydraulic elongator produces seamless copper nickel with OD 419mm.
We also have 55KN direct extrusion press machine and 35KN indirect extrusion press machine.
Our monthly production capacity for copper nickel pipe is 70T to 100T. Moreover, we can manufacture 50pcs of 6 meters long per day (DN 125 and DN 150).
Shihang guarantees a fast turnaround, and we deliver a normal order within 30 days.
Which Certificate do Shihang offer for Copper Nickel Pipe?
As part of our strict copper nickel pipe quality control, Shihang offers:
- EN 10204 3.1 certificate issued by Shihang
- EN 10204 3.2 certificate issued by a third party
What are the Main Classification Societies for Copper Nickel Pipe Manufacturers Approval?
A reputable copper nickel pipe manufacturer should adhere to the standards set by the classification societies. It is a sure way to ensure conformity, standardization, and compatibility in the offshore industries.
Some of the main classification societies for copper nickel pipe manufacturers include:
- Bureau Veritas (BV)
- DNV GL
- Lloyd’s Register (LR)
- China Classification Society (CCS)
- American Bureau of Shipping (ABS), etc.
Here is a complete list of all Classification Societies in the Offshore Industry.
What is Copper Nickel Heat Exchanger Pipe?
They are copper nickel pipes specially designed for use in heat exchanger systems.
The use of Cupronickel heat exchanger is popular due to:
- Ease of joining and sealing
- High thermal conductivity
- Resistance to harsh environmental conditions such as fluctuating weather condition, salty conditions, etc.
- High mechanical strength
- Corrosion resistance
Additionally, copper nickel heat exchanger pipes may have special features such as fins for fast heat transfer.
Figure 16 Copper nickel pipes with fins
What is Grade of Copper Nickel Pipe for Heat Exchanger?
When it comes for grades of copper nickel pipes for heat exchanger, you should consider ASTM B111 UNS C70600 or ASTM B111 UNS C71640.